Firefighters responded for the report of a fire started by a person Sunday morning at a business on Rochester's southwest side.
This happened just after 3:30am at a store on the corner of Genesee St. and Doctor Samuel McCree Way. Fire crews arrived to find a fire burning in a first floor store. They say the call to 911 reported a person broke a window at the store and threw something on fire inside.
There are ten apartments above the store. Some people were hanging out of windows, which led firefighters to call a second alarm.
The battalion chief on scene said the building's locks made it especially difficult to rescue tenants.
"Initially when we arrived, this is a fortified structure. There's a lot of extra bars and metal on the doors and windows," said Rochester Fire Battalion Chief Mark Strzyzynski. "It makes it very dangerous for us cause once you get in, it's real tough to get out, but also getting in is a real tough job."
Even though there were smoke alarms, they had to wake some residents to get them out.
Fire investigators say the inside of the store was gutted by the fire but no one was injured.
Rochester police say they used K-9 to try and track someone from the scene but they do not have anyone in custody.