Rochester City School District superintendent Bolgen Vargas promised changes are coming following more fights between students downtown earlier this week.
Mayor Tom Richards also spoke out, saying the current transportation arrangement is unacceptable and cannot keep going after Monday's incident.
There was a heavy police presence along West Main Street Wednesday.
Vargas said effective right away, school safety officers will be assigned to work downtown along with school resource officers from the police department.
He also added that the district and RTS are working on a new way to cut down on transfer times as well as the number of students who need to transfer.
Vargas said those changes will be announced within a few days.
The school year's first truancy blitz will be conducted on Thursday.
Superintendant Bolgen Vargas and volunteers will again be knocking on the doors of kids who have missed at least 20 percent, or three days, of the 2013-14 school year so far.
The blitz will begin at 9 o'clock Thursday morning. Nine specific schools will be targeted including kids from Schools 4, 8, 17, and Vanguard.
The goal of the blitz is to increase attendance within the city school district.