Updated 03/11/2013 03:49 PM
Deadly house fire caused by electrical malfunction
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
ALEXANDER, N.Y. — An electrical malfunction is being blamed for a fatal fire in Genesee County.
According to the Genesee County Sheriff's Office, neighbors say Scott Cramer, 47, was housesitting at a home on Sand Pit Road in Alexander. A fire there began aruond 10 p.m. Sunday.
Tim Yaeger, the Genesee County Fire Coordinator, said the location of the fire hampered firefighters' efforts.
"The fire was at the only entrance. The heaviest fire was at the entrance of the home, so they firefighters had to knock down the fire to even get in the home itself," said Yaeger.
"It actually was a firefighter who was passing by that actually called 911. He stopped at the house but it was too heavy fire conditions for him to make entry into the home. He responded to the station to get the help to assist and get the apparatus here as soon as possible."
Cramer was rushed to United Memorial Medical Center in Batavia, but he later died.